Well the holidays are over and all the sugarplums, candies and cookies have been consumed. It’s a new year and there’s no better time to help your family get back on track with some healthy habits that will help reduce the number of cavities they get this year.
Following are some easy and effective things you can do to lessen the occurrence of cavities for you family:
- Don’t give your baby juice or formula at night. The sugar in juice and formula causes the bacteria in the mouth to produce the acids that cause baby bottle tooth decay. Give them fluoridated water instead.
- Prepare meals consisting of low-fat foods from the basic food groups. The same diet that is good for your children’s overall health is great for their dental health as well—raw fruits and vegetables, nuts, whole-grain breads and low-fat dairy products.
- Instead of spending money on bottled water, install a water filter on your kitchen faucet, or buy a filtered water pitcher. Fluoridated tap water is an excellent resource to help the battle between children and cavities.
- If your child must have sweets, limit them to dessert or following a main meal. Snacks consumed frequently during the day or before bedtime are a major culprit of cavities in children.
- Don’t share cups or utensils. Store toothbrushes separately from each other in a place where they can dry out between brushings. Remember, cavities are contagious. So if you have them, you can pass them onto your child by sharing cups and utensils.
- If you smoke, stop. The University of Rochester’s Strong Children’s Research Center has discovered a link between smoking, children and cavities. Results from a study show that children of parents who smoke are more likely to develop cavities.
As always, Dr. Angell and our hygienists are happy to answer any questions you might have about cavity prevention for your family. Now is a great time to set up your family’s dental hygiene appointments for this year with our office. Give us a call at: (248) 362-4330.
If you are looking for a dentist in the Troy and Birmingham area who utilizes the latest dental techniques and technology, be sure to check out Dr. Douglas Angell. Angell’s Dentistry is committed to providing each of our patients with a beautiful, healthy smile and unmatched dental care. Be sure to visit our website at: www.angellsdentistry.com.