Oral cancer is one of the least discussed cancers. It refers to cancer that develops in any of the parts that make up the mouth—lips, tongue, gums, roof or floor of the mouth, or the inside lining of the cheeks.
Here are some facts about oral cancer that you should know:
- Every year, more than 40,000 Americans are diagnosed with oral cancer
- The mortality rate for oral cancer is higher than many types of cancers, including Hodgkins disease, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer and cancer of the brain
- With early treatment, oral cancer has a 90 percent success rate
- Men face twice the risk of developing oral cancer as women; men over 50 face the greatest risk
- Smoking cigarettes, cigars or pipes puts you at six times the risk; chewing tobacco makes you fifty times more
- likely to develop cancers of the cheek, gums, and lining of the lips
- About 25 percent of people diagnosed with oral cancer are not tobacco users
- Excessive alcohol consumption makes you six times more likely to get oral cancer than a nondrinker
See your dentist or physician as soon as possible if you experience any of the following symptoms for more than two weeks:
- A visible sore or ulcer
- White or red patches anywhere in the mouth
- Lumps on the lip, tongue, throat or in the neck
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- A feeling that something’s caught in the throat
- Bleeding or numbness of the mouth
- Persistent sore throat
- Dentures that start to loosen in fit
Dr. Angell performs a general visual screening for oral cancer as part of your routine dental exams. If you feel you are at risk for oral cancer or are experiencing any symptoms, we can perform a more comprehensive exam using ViziLite® Plus, an oral cancer exam that helps detect any abnormal tissues not visible to the naked eye.
If you are looking for a dentist in the Troy and Birmingham area who utilizes the latest dental techniques and technology, be sure to check out Dr. Douglas Angell. Angell’s Dentistry is committed to providing each of our patients with a beautiful, healthy smile and unmatched dental care. Give our office a call at (248) 362-4330 and be sure to visit our website at: www.angellsdentistry.com; and “like” us on Facebook.